I’ve ended up falling behind on wanderlust which is disappointing. I think it was because the watercolour section coincided with my nasty tramadol withdrawal. I don’t find watercolours very good for my hands – you tend to have to do a lot of mixing and obviously you don’t get much colour for your effort which means more hand use. I do however have a new love affair with ecolines which some people argue are watercolours, other people insist they’re inks. Either way, beautiful products, lots of colour for your effort.
Anyway, one of the weeks I’ve just caught up on was about using watercolours to make mixed media (non traditional) prayer flags.
This caught my attention and, being in a bit of a creative slump, I quickly got onto it and although I’ve not used watercolours (except for dipping fabric in my ecolines, great tip from wanderlust) I have managed to make three flags. The idea is that you then hang them outside and let the weather alter them. But I only have a yard and my neighbours (not nice people) use it far more than me (I don’t use it because they do… can’t wait till they move…) so my flags are going to be indoor flags…
Traditionally, a prayer flag is a rectangle of coloured fabric with words and images on. They are often found hung in the mountains in Tibet and are traditionally used to promote peace, compassion, strength and wisdom. According to wikipedia:
The flags do not carry prayers to gods, which is a common misconception; rather, the Tibetans believe the prayers and mantras will be blown by the wind to spread the good will and compassion into all pervading space.
Our lesson asked us to choose some words to focus on and inscribe on our flags. I choose three words which are coming up a lot for me this year; intention, awareness and synchronicity (which I keep spelling wrong and true to form, spelt wrong on my flag… a lesson there in accepting things we cannot change I guess!).
To make my flags I used squares of cardboard (amazon packaging to be precise) for the base and have used old book paper, fabric and trimming dipped in ecoline and inks, buttons, washi tape, dress patterns etc. I’m quite pleased with how they’ve turned out, spelling mistake and all. I’m not sure even if I had the option, I’d put them outside…