This weeks lesson was from the lovely Kate Crane (I’ve been desperately trying to figure out the logistics of attending one of her IRL courses but so far it’s not worked out…) and was about making a travel journal (which is a little sad because of the lack of travel in my life but I shall find another use for it…).
I’m not very good at sticking with instructions, I like to know the concept and then I like to adapt it.
In this case, it was supposed to be made, or at least the version she showed us was made, from a sheet of A1 watercolour or cartridge paper. Of which I have none. And being for the most part house bound, I have no real way of getting any (except online of course but that seems a bit excessive for a piece of paper…). I also tend to take the attitude with my art that I should use what I have, be inventive and adaptable. Needless to say this doesn’t stop me from spending more money than I should on supplies…
I remembered that somewhere I had a sheet of A2 paper so I figured I used that instead and adapt the instructions. I’ve tried to put together a rough outline of what I did, mostly for myself in the future, but I figured it might be helpful to other people.
Black lines are cut lines and green are fold. Essential you’ll need two long strips (a), mine are 5 inches x 20 inches which means my pages will be 5 inch squares. Cut these out and fold each into a concertina. You then need to attach them to each other to make one long concertina. You’re doing this so that you get more pages in your journal however if you just want 6 pages just use one strip. There are a few ways I thought of doing joining them. You could use washi tape, masking tape etc to tape the two short sides to each other or you could glue one end square to another end square which is what I did in the end.
I then gesso-ed all my paper as it’s not very sturdy. I might have been better doing this first!
Then I wanted to add some extra pages, like Kate had shown us, which is where b and c come in. I’ve got two strips of b which are 4×8 inches and although it isn’t shown, I did manage to get two strips of c which are 3×6 inches.
I’ve used two squares of card for the cover, each 6×6 inches, which I* hacked at some amazon packing to get and have since painted black.
The rest of it was completed as per Kate’s instructions which I won’t go through, you should join the course if you’re interested!
*by which I mean my carer did, cutting card is beyond my hand capability… they get some funny requests from me… (the carers, not my hands)