The final part of my trees project was using clay which I hadn’t done in many many years.
I was really pleased with how they turned out!
I used air drying clay which my carer rolled out then I pressed the leaves, seeds and twigs into the clay. I was worried that when we removed them, bits of tree would stick or the clay would pull but no. After five days they were dry and I painted them with gesso. Then I used brown ink to bring out the details. Another light layer of gesso, removing any that caught in the imprints with a baby wipe. And finishing them off with varnish.
I really enjoyed having a year long project and this year I am looking at the life cycle of butterflies!